PS. !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s){if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function(){n.callMethod? Also, anything that involves self grilling, or hot pot is a great holiday meal. I really like what Pailin is doing for Thai food and living her dreams to present it to the world.!! Cooking Thai food on YouTube @hotthaikitchen. She settled on using Final Cut Pro and learned through trial and error and resource sites like Lynda.com. And then I kind of caught myselfI thought, "It's because you expect Thai food to be cheap, because that's kind of the way it's always been.". border-radius:0; And that's something that I've noticed myself, too. All rights reserved, Tags: tastemaker, tastemakers, Ethan Adeland, Pailin Chongchitnant, OhCanada. On our show we've been interested in exploring the relationship between food and identityfood is often something that people take pride in as a signifier of where they come from, or alternatively, something they might feel some sense of shame around based on negative stereotypes or experiences. Add the oyster mushrooms. Though eventually I did when I joined a Canadian food channel Gusto as a host for their cooking show One World Kitchen. Pai, I just made your Massaman beef curry yesterday and the family thoroughly enjoyed it. We do a lot of seafood feasts for gathering such as big whole fish, grilled barbecued prawns or like crab steamed crab. You can also buy bone-in thighs, debone them, then crack the bones and throw them in to simmer with the chicken. Hot Thai Kitchen Newsletter | Pailin Chongchitnant | Substack So in 2009 I started Hot Thai Kitchen, a Thai cooking show on YouTube. But it's still all authentic. So to approach Thai food, the best way is to start by approaching ingredients, because once you're looking at an ingredient and familiarizing yourself with it, you realize it's just another herb. Over the years, I've realized that there's a difference between something being traditional and something being authentic. Cooking up food and identity in Pailin Chongchitnant's "Hot Thai - WHRO Her latest book, Sabai, is filled with 100 . And I feel like there's so much more to being Thai. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 12 minutes to soften. Published December 28, 2021 at 1:31 PM EST. A comforting soup and an easy way to jump into Thai cooking. With over 180,000 YouTube subscribers, many of them are learning Thai cuisine for the first time and that's a responsibility she takes to heart. Growing up in Thailand, Pailin Chongchitnant spent her childhood with the kitchen as her playground. Most people come to Thai food thinking that it's complex and complicated. Message me any questions on Patreon! Introducing Mr. Hot Thai Kitchen | Pailin Chongchitnant on Patreon But there really is so much more and there really is a lot more freedom when it comes to cooking. This recipe is definitely a keeper! Here's my story. Tom = Boil, soup; Ka = Galangal; Gai = Chicken I always loved the days my high school cafeteria had tom ka gai on the menu. If its an editing day, its possible she wont leave the house. Pailin "Pai" Chongchitnant is a trained chef, creator of the YouTube channel Pailin's Kitchen with over 1.5 million subscribers, author of Hot Thai Kitchen, and a TV show host on Gusto . document.removeEventListener(evt, handler, false); In 2016, she released a cookbook called Hot Thai Kitchen. Chongchitnant's cookbook, Hot Thai Kitchen: Demystifying Thai Cuisine with Authentic Recipes to Make at Home, was published in 2016. color:white; Professionally-trained chef known for sharing Thai cuisine on herPailin's Kitchen YouTube channel. I think the main issue with people's familiarity with Thai cuisine right now is they really only know what's available on restaurant menus, which is actually very limited. hotthaikitchen.com This Account is Private Already follow pailin.chong? w.FlodeskObject = n; Community Resources for Those Impacted by Mass Shooting, Comprehensive Coverage of the Crisis in Ukraine, Invisible Army: Caregivers on the Front Lines, Fight the Power: How Hip Hop Changed the World. Pailin Chongchitnant net worth 1.56 Million Millions of dollars 82% Net worth score Disclamer: Pailin Chongchitnant net worth displayed here are calculated based on a combination social factors. Coconut Jelly A made-up dish she created for her Hot Thai Kitchen YouTube Channel that went viral. While studying in high school, cable TV became available in Thailand and thanks to this, Pailin was able to watch overseas cooking shows. Add the coconut milk, lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, Thai chilies, 11/2 Tbsp of the fish sauce, and palm sugar. font-family: "FuturaBT-MediumCondensed", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; Pailin Chongchitnant's Fresh Rolls Recipe with Spicy Garlic Dip - The Kit Pailin also earns through brand partnerships on Instagram. People have come to have faith in her recipes and thats something shes very proud of and takes seriously. (w[n].q = w[n].q || []).push(arguments); Theres no such thing as a typical day in Pais world. Chongchitnant's recipes (of which there are hundreds, free to access online) aim to offer a. As someone who is often introducing Thai cooking to people for the first time, do you feel pressure to make your recipes feel more quote un-quote "authentic," or rather, to cater to a Western audience? This is a dish with relatively mild flavors so I can never get tired of it, but it's unbelievably delicious. And there should be some really refined things so that if people really want to experience the deluxe version, they know that it's out there and it exists. 842 following. Pailin Chongchitnant is a popular food YouTuber. FamousBirthdays.com - use subject to the practices disclosed in our privacy policy. All in all, many thanks Pai for teaching us!!!! }); Her host family also didnt speak Thai, so she was thrown into speaking English all the time. There should be medium things so people can go have a nice meal for their birthday if they want. Tuesdays at 9pm on WNED PBS. Someone told me the food was good there, so I went! And when you gather, the only thing that's different is your food is more elaborate or extravagant. He suggested I started a cooking show on YouTube, and "maybe one day someone will discover your videos and then put you on TV." Seeing Thai restaurants on the street feels like I'm not quite alone, because I know there are Thai people behind those places. Good day Pailin The guy behind the HTK logo and book design :), he is a usually private person but agreed to be officially introduced now that we are married! Video creator. It has the most complexed flavour profile of any curry Ive ever made. As YouTube evolved, it became clear that a YouTube channel could be "a serious thing," so I started to post more regularly, and also started hot-thai-kitchen.com as a place to put written recipes. But there really is so much more and there really is a lot more freedom when it comes to cooking. How do you feel about that perception of Thai cuisine? Basically, its college radio for adults. Thai people are so friendly and so helpful. But when I came across Hot Thai Kitchen, that quickly broke down those notions and made Thai cooking seem a lot more approachable. and I say I'm from Thailand, the first thing they'll say is, "I love Thai food." Getting back to this idea of Thai and Chinese food often being seen as take-out food, rather than fine dining you interviewed a chef at a Thai restaurant in Vancouver, and he also touched on this idea, and how their restaurant aims to challenge that. Oh man, I have felt a lot of pressure. Traditional is the "official" way a dish is done. and I say I'm from Thailand, the first thing they'll say is, "I love Thai food." .section-subscribe div[data-ff-el="root"] form div { Spicy Chicken & Cucumber Stir-Fry, a cookbook that lays the foundation for Thai cuisine. Pailin Chongchitnant (Pai) was born on 4 March 1983 in Hat Yai, Thailand. Pailin "Pai"Chongchitnant is a trained chef, creator of the YouTube channel Pailin's Kitchen with over 1.5 million subscribers, author of Hot Thai Kitchen, and a TV show hoston Gusto. for (var i = 0; i < evts.length; i++) { You can book Pailin Chongchitnant for your event by contacting Pailin Chongchitnant's agent. It also puts the people making the food at a higher level too, because if you think of the food as being something cheap, you kind of group the people cooking them in that light as wellthat they're all just immigrants doing cheap labor work back there. document.detachEvent('on' + evt, handler); As she spent many years living in Canada and the United States and was upset with the Thai food served in the restaurants there, she decided to share authentic Thai cooking through her YouTube channel. But if I was sitting in a French restaurant, would I have had the same reaction to these prices? My family and I have loved eating at Thai restaurants since I was a kid, but for most of my life, I always thought of Thai cuisine as outside of my scope for cooking at home, and maybe subconsciously relegated it to being a "takeout food" because it felt so complex. And then I kind of caught myselfI thought, "It's because you expect Thai food to be cheap, because that's kind of the way it's always been.". But while her love of food was always a driving force, the road to Chongchitnant's current position had some unexpected turns. How did a girl from Thailand come to teach Thai cooking to millions worldwide? We don't even use the oveneverything happens on the stovetop, more or less quickly. (My personal favorite is her recipe for instant pot massaman curry; the freshly toasted warm spices and rich curry is more soul-nourishing and flavorful than any bowl I've had at a restaurant). Chicken is the usual suspect, but I have made this soup with fresh clams and it was like the tasty Thai sister of New England clam chowder! I told Eddie about my dream to have a cooking show, which I still kept in my head despite not actively pursuing it. The first two weeks were rough, but soon enough she was able to get by pretty well. There's no Thai community that I'm a part of, so most of the time in my everyday life, I'm the only Thai person in the room. Early No-Ad: How to Eat Thai Food CORRECTLY! | Pailin Chongchitnant on window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; There should be medium things so people can go have a nice meal for their birthday if they want. So having food to go back to is sort of grounding. It really helps me understand what is happen during the entire cooking process. background:transparent !important; And then I kind of caught myselfI thought, "It's because you expect Thai food to be cheap, because that's kind of the way it's always been.". The Thai people are just so eager and willing to help other people, especially people who are foreigners, that they see are unfamiliar with the place. You can make a quick-fix chicken stock without adding any extra cooking time. It also puts the people making the food at a higher level too, because if you think of the food as being something cheap, you kind of group the people cooking them in that light as wellthat they're all just immigrants doing cheap labor work back there. It's still a very small venture, but over the years a couple people joined the team. There's no Thai community that I'm a part of, so most of the time in my everyday life, I'm the only Thai person in the room. Pailin (Pai) Chongchitnant Sharing my journey as a working mama of baby Kaan. f.parentNode.insertBefore(sm, f); ). But it's still all authentic. My aunt in Bangkok is missing. This is what people are going to think Thai food is, so I better make it authentic. You know, tradition is something we don't really do. Pailin Chongchitnant is a popular food YouTuber. var f = d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0]; You humble and admit some ingredients skipped in the beginning, but still save us and shows It is not too late to mention and to add it in the cooking. f.parentNode.insertBefore(sm, f); Cooking up food and identity in Pailin Chongchitnant's "Hot Thai Kitchen" December 28, 2021 When chef Pailin Chongchitnant realized that cable television wasn't ready for a Thai cooking show . I have also published a cookbook that lays the foundation for Thai cuisine, with another one coming in March 2023. He has more than two million subscribers on his eponymous YouTube channel. From a young age, she would linger by the stove, taking in the sight of snowy white coconut. From a young age, she would linger by the stove, taking in the sight of snowy white coconut being shredded, the smell of lemongrass-infused soups, and the sound of the pestle pounding against the granite mortar. 136k Followers, 842 Following, 2,272 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Pailin Chongchitnant (@hotthaikitchen) hotthaikitchen. Dont know if it helped her cooking, but probably gave some credentials. This is why I "speak English so well," as many have asked, aside from my 1-year stint as an exchange student in New Zealand. Technique-wise, it's quite easy. It's very common in Thai cuisine yet its held up as molecular gastronomy in North American cuisine. w.FlodeskObject = n; (w[n].q = w[n].q || []).push(arguments); So, Pailin started her YouTube channel by the name Hot Thai Kitchen (later renamed to Pailins Kitchen) on 11 September 2009. Later, Pailin secured the job of a chef in a Thai restaurant group and helped them open a new restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm curious if there are any preconceived notions that you've noticed people have about Thai ingredients, flavors, and food overall. Seeing Thai restaurants on the street feels like I'm not quite alone, because I know there are Thai people behind those places. Pai had been taught how to cook French food and exposed to Western food during her time in North America, but she kept coming back to Thai food. The authentic is something the Thai people do, and there are many different ways to go about doing it. You need to contact here through her website directly. Here are your rewards for this tier : Bonus videos - I share extra info not mentioned in the show, such as kitchen tips, recipe variations, nerdy kitchen talk, or more cultural tidbits. Log in to see their photos and videos. She has 1.6 million subscribers on her YouTube channel by the name, Pailin's Kitchen. Sweet and sour are two important flavours in Thai food, and Thai-born chef Pailin Chongchitnant shows us how to get the perfect balance between them. In Thailand, you just eat whatever you want, whenever you want. function gtag(){window.dataLayer.push(arguments);} Sawaddee ka! On the one hand, food plays such an important role. This video was a suggestion from one of our Discord members and I thought it was a great suggestion. And when you gather, the only thing that's different is your food is more elaborate or extravagant. But there are times that she needs to head outside, whether shes buying ingredients for the next day of recording or teaching kids as a part-time Home Economics teacher. We don't even use the oveneverything happens on the stovetop, more or less quickly. With that dream on the backburner, she got a degree in Nutritional Science at the University of British Columbia, went on to work in professional kitchens, and eventually attended culinary school at Le Cordon Bleu in San Francisco. 2,272 posts. Pailin has a couple of brothers, Art and Eddie. Add the herbs and simmer for another 5 minutes. Bristol Palin and her now ex-husband Dakota Meyer had a blazing row on Monday's episode of Teen Mom OG: Meet the Moms. Im spanish so I hunt for the seeds of those herbs and veggies ( u find almost everything on tbe internet) and here in Spain everything grows fine, but I guess not everybody can replicate all dishes. The card was illustrated by a Thai designer, and the design is based on my recipes . Pailin Chongchitnant - Agent, Manager, Publicist Contact Info Probably not. You throw it into a dish. I just had a personal experience with this the other daythere's a new Thai restaurant in Vancouver that just opened, and I wanted to check it out. Australians Changed My Breakfast. After high school she moved to Vancouver for university, studying at UBC. var v = '?v=' + Math.floor(new Date().getTime() / (120 * 1000)) * 60; During studying in high school, as she was attracted to cooking shows, she wanted to grow up to have a cooking show. Growing up in the south of Thailand, she scribbled recipes and notes on a pad of paper while learning to cook on television from Nigella Lawson, Jamie Oliver, Rick Stein and Michael Smith. Adam, a long time friend who started by lending me his kitchen for filming, eventually became the cameraman and now an official part of HTK. Pai's journey from Thailand to Canada did not have a road map but there was a will and a desire. With diff flavors. On our show we've been interested in exploring the relationship between food and identityfood is often something that people take pride in as a signifier of where they come from, or alternatively, something they might feel some sense of shame around based on negative stereotypes or experiences. But if you're seeing people doing really incredible work, you all of a sudden know that, oh, these quote unquote immigrants are chefs and artists and people with high skills and abilities just like all the other well respected chefs in other cuisines. sn.noModule = true; And while I considered other cooking topics, I decided to focus on Thai food. Her aim is to demystify Thai food with easy-to-follow and authentic recipes. var sm = d.createElement(t); I'm curious if there are any preconceived notions that you've noticed people have about Thai ingredients, flavors, and food overall. Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | YouTube | Hot Thai Kitchen. Pailin Chongchitnant is a leaper and a dreamer. If you're wondering how I went from being a kid in southern Thailand to teaching Thai cooking in English language to millions of viewers from around the world, read my story below! .wpb_animate_when_almost_visible { opacity: 1; } It's going to be maybe some expensive seafood. Pailin's Kitchen was born on YouTube. So, how are you inspired by the success story of Pailin Chongchitnant? sn.noModule = true; You will also get direct and prioritized access to me by private messages, or chat with me through our Discord group. text-transform: uppercase; for (var i = 0; i < evts.length; i++) { I called her up to dish (pun intended) about the most common misconceptions about Thai cuisine, how food and identity intertwine, and what it means to make your own rules in the culinary world. } Thai recipes are everywhere on the internet,but I want to share something more: a true understanding of the steps and the ingredients, and even the cultural background of the dish. WOW, I am so totally grateful! Thai desserts are totally underrepresented in North America, aside from Mango with Sticky Rice. Thanks to the success of her YouTube channel, Pailin got an opportunity to appear on One World Kitchen show on Gusto TV. Recipes on HotThaiKitchen.com . Although things are improving, were still far away. In the beginning, I didn't really think much of it. "One World Kitchen" Sweet and Sour (TV Episode 2017) - IMDb I have a friend who's in a wheelchair, and he traveled to Thailand, and he said that in no other country were people more willing and eager to help him get places than in Thailand. Chad Zuber is a popular adventurer, survivalist and YouTuber. Thai Twitter, please help. So in 2009, as YouTube was emerging as a more prominent platform, she decided to create a cooking show of her own: "That's kind of when the light bulb went off in my headI no longer have to wait for someone to discover me so that I can put myself on the map," she said. It adds some flavor, just like rosemary. " Her Thai recipes and easy-going approachable manner were resonating with viewers. Hello folks, I'm Naveen Reddy. I cook Thai food and it connects me to my culture, and it keeps the community here together. The authentic is something the Thai people do, and there are many different ways to go about doing it. PAILIN CHONGCHITNANT was born and raised in Thailand, spending much of her childhood with the kitchen as her playground. So to approach Thai food, the best way is to start by approaching ingredients, because once you're looking at an ingredient and familiarizing yourself with it, you realize it's just another herb. A belated congratulations for your Canadian citizenship! wfscr.type = 'text/javascript'; I wish people knew more about the Thai personality. There's something about picking apart meat in crab shells, it's more of an activity there's action involved in this eating rather than just just putting the food in your mouth. Add salt, and using a swirling motion, grind the chili garlic paste further until there are no more pieces of chili skin left. Cooking up food and identity in Pailin Chongchitnant's "Hot Thai var f = d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0]; Eggplant Stir-Fry A dish that comes together very quickly, its a much different way to prepare and eat eggplant compared to baking it in the oven like Eggplant Parmesan. But thats not all. This month, Ethan Adeland profiles Vancouver'sPailin Chongchitnant, the charming host of the YouTube Channel, Pailin's Kitchen, and the author of the Hot Thai Kitchen Cookbook! The Thai people are just so eager and willing to help other people, especially people who are foreigners, that they see are unfamiliar with the place. The next step was deciding what the show would be about. I do go out to dine sometimes, but its nice to cook at home and to know what is going in for sure. What role does Thai food play in your understanding of your identity? })(window, document, 'script', 'https://assets.flodesk.com', '/universal', 'fd'); So as it turned out I didn't need to be on TV to have a "real" cooking show. (function(w, d, t, h, s, n) { About Pailin Chongchitnant - Hot Thai Kitchen Imoved toSan Francisco to attend culinary school to further my skills atLe Cordon Bleu, and continued to work in the restaurant industry. Remove from the heat and stir in 2 Tbsp of the lime juice. Sweet and Sour: With Pailin Chongchitnant. Initially Pai posted one video every month but she kept coming back to it. Cooking it at home, you don't have to make those specific dishesyou can have the freedom and the flexibility to put your own spin on it. Or if you prefer to watch, here's a YouTube video from many years back where I shared my story. Designed specially for this tier of patrons. .section-subscribe div[data-ff-el="root"], PAILIN CHONGCHITNANT was born and raised in Thailand. The camera had been turned off and then she asked herself, What do I do now? So she jumped right into the world of editing. I still want to present the food in an authentic way, but I'm not going to stress out over an ingredient that I can't find, or a technique that's just not practical to do in a condo. In a medium pot, add the chicken stock, chicken thighs, and salt; simmer gently for 15 minutes, loosely covered, until the chicken is fork tender. Derek Lucci. Hot Thai Kitchen: Demystifying Thai Cuisine with Authentic Recipes to As a young girl she dreamt of hosting her own cooking show. When Pai was 12 years old, her family sent her to New Zealand to work on her English. But as I've kind of gained more confidence in myself, I've relaxed my take a little bit. But as she got older, Chongchitnant realized that there was no clear path for hosting a TV show about a cuisine deemed "niche" by mainstream networks. You throw it into a dish. Well, let's take a look at what it does. After graduation, she knew she wanted to go to culinary school so she asked around for an awesome food city in North America. You don't know about lemongrass? Then, she returned to Bangkok, Thailand and here also, she continued cooking. Chef and YouTube host Pailin Chongchitnant. Pailin is a polyglot as she knows Thai, English, French and Spanish. var sm = d.createElement(t); Chongchitnant's recipes (of which there are hundreds, free to access online) aim to offer a deeper understanding of the steps and the ingredients that make Thai cuisine so distinct. Pais brother knew of his sisters dream of a cooking show and, like any good big brother, he laid it out for her with some real talk. Thank you. Cooking up food and identity in Pailin Chongchitnant's "Hot Thai Join us on Patreon! Traditional is the "official" way a dish is done. According to Pai, it doesnt have any "weird" ingredients so its a very approachable recipe to get started with Thai cooking. She grew up in Hat Yai and is Thai Chinese as she has a Chinese ethnicity. He is a graphic designer and much like her, Craig also has Chinese ethnicity. document.addEventListener(evt, handler, false); Our conversation has been edited and condensed for clarity. Well, I am very interrsted in Asian food being a home cook and I have to say she explains the recipies in a quite acurate way, u can tell shes technical. Oh man, I have felt a lot of pressure. Hot Thai Kitchen: Demystifying Thai Cuisine with Authentic Recipes to There should be cheap things so people can afford them. Thanks to her love for cooking, her education and career all revolved around cooking and food. Add condensed milk, mayo and lime juice; stir until combined. Probably not. And there should be some really refined things so that if people really want to experience the deluxe version, they know that it's out there and it exists. You can get the contact info for Pailin Chongchitnant's agent in our database. Soup's On! This is what really excites me, and this is what HotThai Kitchen is all about. sn.async = true; Courtesy of Pailin Chongchitnant. While growing up, her live-in grandmother who was also a family cook taught Pailin all the basics of Thai cooking. Follow. Culinary school trained Pai in all the classical French methods but she kept finding herself leaning back to her Thai roots. Pai now resides in Vancouver where she is thankful to call two places home, Thailand and Canada with it all being shared at Hot Thai Kitchen. Chongchitnant's recipes (of which there are hundreds, free to access online) aim to offer a deeper understanding of the steps and the ingredients that make Thai cuisine so distinct.

Pickens County Mugshots, Limetown Podcast Lesson Plans, North Platte Telegraph Divorces 2020, Articles W