First commercial case study with 3 parts, then a partner interview on the case study followed by a group presentation task to a partner, a one-on-one partner interview and a written exercise (a letter responding to a claimant who is suing your client). Strong academics. However, you will need to complete the Professional Skills Course (PSC) during your qualifying work experience. Well rounded candidates who will make the most of our varied seat rotations. As a trainee you could be working on major corporate transactions or commercial litigation, and then working for private clients on their most sensitive affairs. In each seat you will share a room with a partner or solicitor who supervises and supports you. They discuss adjustments required by our employees and ensure these are implemented. 31/03/2023 Mayer Brown . He is a member of the Society of Construction Law, the Adjudication Society, the Property Litigation Association, the Young International Arbitration . Opens the Fishbowl by Glassdoor site in a new window. Please describe the interview process at Macfarlanes. Macfarlanes has advised independent specialty insurance and reinsurance broker BMS Group on an agreement with Eurazeo for an additional investment which values the business at 1.75bn. The second exercise was a written exercise: a letter to a client advising on whether they had grounds to sack some employees. Cookies enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Thanks a lot in advance! All employees have access to the Thrive wellbeing app, and we have a network of guardians across the firm who are trained to provide a confidential space to share issues employees feel they need to discuss. Comp and culture? We sat around in a conference room and there were ice-breakers. We had limited time to work out a company share buy out situation, and write a letter to the client. It's great they gave you such detailed feedback. Macfarlanes Assessment Day. - The Student Room Do you accept applications from people like me? Remember that a lawyer can only give advice on things they have expertise in or they will face liability for incorrect advice. It was a different kind of awards ceremony last night as hundreds of viewers stayed at home to watch the 17th annual LawCareers.Net Training & Recruitment Awards streamed live on Facebook and Instagram. Partner and associate are friendly and very nice. My interviewer was very friendly and put me very much at ease when I was very nervous going into it. Use The Beginners Guide to a Career in Law to get started, Find out about the various legal apprenticeships on offer and browse vacancies with The Law Apprenticeships Guide, Information on qualifying through the Solicitors Qualifying Exam, including preparation courses, study resources, QWE and more, Discover everything you need to know about developing your knowledge of the business world and its impact on the law, The latest news and updates on the actions being taken to improve diversity and inclusion in the legal profession, Discover advice to help you prepare for and ace your vacation scheme, training contract and pupillage applications, Your first-year guide to a career in law find out how to kickstart your legal career at this early stage, Your non-law guide to a career in law everything you need to know about converting to law. Aimed at school and college students, mainly years 12 and 13, it provides guidance, materials and interactive exercises designed to help build the skills needed if you are considering a career in law. While many of our practice areas can be found at other firms, the mix cannot. Do you have a first year programme? How far before the deadline should I apply? On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Macfarlanes employees and get real answers from people on the inside. We will set measurable targets against our three strategic priorities. Private Equity. Going to one of our events gives you a better understanding of what we do as a firm and what we offer you as a potential future trainee. You can also arrange a call with the early legal careers team to discuss further. How many trainees do you recruit for the training programme annually? At first there was a list of potential issues and we discussed as a group, led by two current trainees, how serious each would be, which were the most serious etc. These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. What support can you give to those observing religious holidays, for example, during the vacation scheme? We discussed this in the interview for about ten minutes, and it seemed mostly about how we thought about the issue. If your application is unsuccessful at the application stage, yes, you can reapply for any programme. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. Do you only accept applicants from certain universities? Macfarlanes - TC assessment day. It was about different categories of shareholders and shares, (apply the companys articles to a problem scenario) and needed a numerical answer for the value the company could recover (no calculator but very basic maths, e.g.dividing by 10). Find out about the work she gets up to on a daily basis and the early responsibility on offer in this practice area. Vacation students will spend each week in a different practice area working alongside a partner,solicitor ortrainee. We recruit people to build careers for the long term. Continue Reading Interview Questions Q: Why you choose Macfarlanes? Yes, we accept applications from applicants who studied any subject, whether at a UK or overseas university. Regardless of your degree subject, you are eligible to apply for a vacation scheme in your penultimate year of study and onwards. Assessment Centre: Macfarlanes is a distinctive London-based law firm, focused on its clients and on delivering excellence in the international legal market. Training programme assessment days consist of the following assessments: All assessments on the assessment day are application blind except for the application interview. As a vacation scheme student, you will gain an insight into life as a trainee over the course of two weeks. What is Macfarlanes? Company Culture, Mission, Values Our vacation scheme gives you a two-week snapshot of life as a Macfarlanes trainee. There are changing rooms in our office for employee use. Some common areas that lead to applicants not passing the application stage include lack of research on the firm, poor spelling, grammar and punctuation, not meeting the minimum requirements, not fully articulating your motivations, needing more complete or more succinct responses to questions, poor example choices and repetition of ideas. You are divided into sub teams of two or three and given 15 minutes to prepare for the negotiation. "Why law/Macfarlanes? What makes a successful application to Macfarlanes - Bright Network We are Macfarlanes LLP, the City of London based, international law firm, and entities controlled by Macfarlanes LLP through which it carries out its business ("Macfarlanes", "we", "us" or "our"). Mostly commercial based and tech focussed and innovative focussed. Macfarlanes trainee experience. Stay calm and work through it one step at a time! for recruitment purposes, (including via virtual assessment centres and virtual trainee experiences); to promote our legal services, including . Do not feel pressured to respond too quickly, but take time to give considered answers. If you are studying law, you can apply in your penultimate year and onwards for both a vacation scheme and the training programme. I graduated some years ago. To find out what it is like to work at Macfarlanes read the firm's Meet the Lawyer profile. Even though I didn't get the offer I enjoyed the day and the feedback they gave afterwards was helpful. Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions that you might find useful. By clicking Accept cookies, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device. What kind of technology are you interested in most? Tech and the future of legal services: implementing change. Please prepare each case study equally and expect to discuss all three in a similar level of detail; an application interview with a partner and a member of our HR team. The day involved a 20-minute exercise with a partner, a written exercise and a group exercise. We had to read a situation and respond to it with what we would do in an interview with a partner. As regards the written exercise, it was certainly the most difficult part of the assessment day (or open day as they call it), and involved basic calculations without a calculator. Can I send in a copy of my CV and a covering letter instead of completing an application online? Several law firms, including Clifford Chance and Macfarlanes LLP, have launched a leadership-led, cross-firm collective developed to improve the representation of Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups in the UK legal profession. Insurance and reinsurance is an integral part of commercial activity throughout the world. If we have not yet reviewed your application, we may be able to add the missing information. Can I apply for the training programme if I am currently studying elsewhere? How long does the application form take to complete? Catherine Morgan-Guest Senior manager, early legal careers The interview stage is comprised of two interviews (one with a partner who will have seen your application in advance and a business case study scenario to test your problem solving skills) as well as a group task and a written exercise (both application blind). Sponsored by Sullivan & Cromwell LLP. We take extenuating circumstances seriously and would encourage you to be as open with us as you feel you can. Both routes provide an equal chance of a training programme with us. Written exercise Maintenance allowance for SQE students: 13,000. I did not study law at university. Vacation scheme assessment days consist of the following assessments: All assessment exercises during the assessment day are application blind, so your assessors will not have seen your application form. Any insight would be appreciated! Get in touch with the Early Legal Careers team Thats what our team is there for, we can answer your questions and give you guidance with your application. The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2023 Watch, Got offered Clifford Chance interview etc and don't know what to do lol. I am an undergraduate student in my antepenultimate year (first year of a three-year or second year of a four-year course). This part of the day is not assessed, but we encourage you to have questions prepared. I'm thrilled to share that I have accepted a Summer Vacation Scheme offer from Macfarlanes! Find out how Macfarlanes LLP is adopting the Solicitors Qualifying Exam. Leading City firms adopt measures to combat obstacles faced by Black, Asian and minority ethnic lawyers. It is not a comprehensive list of religions, but we designed it to include thosewith practices thathave direct implications in a work setting. For the written exercise, focus on the details and dont make silly errors. Can I reapply if my application is not successful? For the first year insight scheme, you need to apply online as well. Justify every decision you make and don't leave out points that are both for and against your client. Immigration lawyers deal with all legal matters relating to immigration and nationality.

Training And Supervision Of Health Workers Slideshare, Mark Phillips Obituary, Airydress Account Login, Who Is The Girl In The Girl Biting Lip Meme, Articles M