Bedrosian, whose current ventures include hisNew York Burger Bars in Massapequa and Babylon Village, describes restaurants such as Rare 650 in Syosset and Hendricks Tavern as the new social scenes of today, still steadily drawing the 40-and-over audience with DJ parties that spin much of the music Gen X Long Islanders danced to 20 years ago. Mike Pazdyk was the deejay at 2001 for years. I begged for one for Christmas one year. r4 vs r14 tires; humana dme providers; long island disco clubs from the 70s; long island disco clubs from the 70s. Grace Jones Arrives on Opening Night, La Farfalle, NY. Left: A woman dances between two men at Studio 54, 1979. ), at Celebrate St. James Community Cultural Arts Center TimesMachine is an exclusive benefit for home delivery and digital subscribers. Assistir Dortmund X RB Leipzig - Ao Vivo Grtis HD sem travar, sem anncios. - he obviously knew what they were. Long Island in the 1970s The Jack-in-the-Box sign on Deer Park Avenue in North Babylon on April 18, 1975. A group gathers at Laundry in East Hampton on June 24, 1989. Let's talk about Mirage, says Richard Bedrosian, aveteran of the hospitality scene, of the club that once stood where the Buffalo Wild Wings is now along Merrick Avenue in Westbury. Last month I decided to open up the We decided to open a place that was nicer than anything the city had to offer, a place that would make people from the city want come here. I asked next. . Behold, then, the perfect uplifting surprise for a Monday morning from Meryl Meisler 's latest exhibition and book, SASSY 70s NYC, which is currently showing at Midoma Gallery in New York. I went to Chaz one night, waited on line for an hour and a half, walked in, stayed for 15 minutes and left.. The Arena was built in 1959. Meryl Meisler's books can be purchased here. I wish we were in that era, says 27-year-old Alexa Toscano, a hair stylist from Lynbrook. The idea for the Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant project was hatched in 1966 by the Long Island Lighting Company (LILCo). Hot Rods, Street Rods, Muscle Cars Mr. Schrager said that he was planning to open another disco in Oakdale, in Suffolk County, early in in the new year. Disco wasnt my thing & I never went back., Scotty G. Lewis, whose Facebook page indicates he was from Rochester and now lives in Arizona, wrote simply, Disco died and there was a reason for it. He also said he had heard of six or seven new discos in the works for Nassau and Suffolk. Lights, Computer Technology, & other Merchandise For Sale. What do you remember most about the disco era? He used to work at the place that made them and most were. But before these two aspects of LI'snightlife scene became the norm, there was a time when dancing (not eating) and looking like a fashion plate was what going out was all about. That was in 2002. Copyright 2023 Newsday. Right: People dances on couches at Xenon, 1978. "I've had them up on shelves and hanging on the walls of the rear bumper. Pyramid Club - New York, NY. We decided to open a place that was nicer than anything the city had to offer, a place that would make people from the city want to come here. I came with left over - it hadn't been the best show for jeep stuff. Jive Guy on Williamsburg Subway, Brooklyn, NY. 2023 www.democratandchronicle.com. Anyone can read what you share. jeep sign?" I have had the Nestle Aero bar,. 25. Left: The Queen of Disco Donna Summer performs onstage in a feather costume, circa 1976. var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-8741651-1"); She sat with a friend, Marcis Levine, and played backgammmous as they lapt a watchful eye on the doorway to the game room. Left: A man blowing a whistle in a sparkling purple outfit dances at Studio 54, 1979. People dance at El Palacio Latino in Hempstead on April 2, 1994. And though it was open for a mere 16 years and has long since dimmed its lights, it will always hold a fond place in the hearts of many a local music fan. They're not jeep series, Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. The site . Dad would sit with him at White castle counter 1948-50 , both worked nights. Rochesters version was in Chili-Paul Plaza in the town of Chili. . Watch on. Sources report that clubs were formed using these generic plaques and the names emblazoned on them. Specializing in shopping and fine dining, her work has appeared in "New York Moves" magazine and various online publications. We decided it must be something completely different, more plush than anything in the city. As he spoke he ran his hand over the orange suede coach in the tentlike game room. (7:30p.m. Long Island 70s Kid 2023. Other Keywords: Hot Rod, Street Rod, Custom Car, Model A, Model Tags: dance musickc and the sunshine bandpop musicsaturday night feverthe bee geesthe hustle, Dressing Down was OUT! Some of the earlier offerings were songs like Rock the Boat from the Hues Corporation, Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas, and Love Theme by Barry Whites Love Unlimited Orchestra. https://www.nytimes.com/1976/12/26/archives/long-island-weekly-a-new-look-for-the-disco-counterpoint-pub-discos.html. Twisted Sister, Zebra, Mazarin, Randy Coven Band, Cintron, Rat Race Choir, The Dublin Pub,Rumrunners, The. My. Club Plaques of the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, Please don't pirate my pictures or text. Cute Towns Near NYC for a Weekend Getaway, Things to Do in Port Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island, The Most Popular Hip-Hop Clubs in Atlanta. Stewart gets paid $2 for. Anyone have info-please forward. Owners of the discos say that firm control at the front door does not mean excluding blacks or other ethnic groups, a practice that would clearly be illegal. magazines. My through investigation had determined that it must be the real. Discover unique things to do, places to eat, and sights to see in the best destinations around the world with Bring Me! Here's US residents can opt out of "sales" of personal data. Left: Actor and singer Grace Jones gives a big smile to the camera while partying at Studio 54 in New York City, 1978. But the owners and devotees of the pubtype discos say that the glamour and glitter will soon fade, because the Island is not and does not want to be the city. The couple are engaged in the intricate steps of the hustle, dancing in a disco that is as finely groomed and manicured as they are. This is what I choose to capture and hold on to. Lombardo, a millennial, says she certainly feels that way.I [would] much rather be at a club with bottle service, with dancing and lights and sparklers wearing my best outfit rather than in a hat [with] sweats and sneakers at a bar listening to a live band.". anymore or the place went out of business or something, but he ended up Miss Nessim, a 22yearold secretary from Commack, said she thought the early popularity of Chaz would die down. He asked if they had anymore non-jeep Order Online. I was a junior at Stony Brook and lived on campus. Seems complete but no assembly instructions. People would drive out to LI from Brooklyn & Queens and the reverse as well. May 7, 2013. (11a.m. Like I said, I'm going to keep 2 of my favorites to remember him by.". kits could also be purchased. Sweet Memories Childhood Memories North Babylon Island Pictures Levittown Long Island Ny Deer Park Island Girl Homesick Love it or hate it, the disco craze dominated the latter half of the 70s and New York was unquestionably the epicenter. plaques being sold during this period were actually manufactured by the An old car club plaque mounting kit ad from Chevy, Nova, Charger, Challenger, Chevelle, Thunderbird, Mustang, Camaro, The two women frequent restaurants such as Kyma and Hendricks Tavern in Roslyn, which feature DJs spinning to upscale crowds, or head to Manhattan where traditional, big dancefloor-style nightclubs can still be found. He said: "I don't have a shop, and I only have 2 more plaques P. Diddy appeared for the pre-Independence Day party at the Whitehouse night club in Hampton Bays on July 3, 2007. It sucked. Theres Grace Jones shrugging her coat off upon entering the club; Andy Warhol caught off-guard by the camera; and one image simply entitled The Village People Stepping Out, the tribe in all of its feather head-dressed and leather-cladglory. This is how I see.. Paramount Pictures released Saturday Night Fever, starring John Travolta as the local delinquent who learns to dominate the dance floor. Nancy Breen and Pete Lazos listen to a band at The Brokerage in Bellmore on Sept. 12, 1989. Paint is fresh/new. At the Decameron, Paul Petrone, the manager, said that the discorestaurant was trying to attract Island people who would otherwise travel to the city for a night out. I called A smaller room was geared toward dance, hip-hop and disco, while alarger room focused on New Wave and went live on the radio on Saturday nights,on the now-defunct 92.7 WLIR, also known as WDRE for a time. Several area residents shared their memories, mostly good and some bad, in a Facebook group post. There were groups of guys who Id drool over as I watched them dance like b-boys, referring to those who incorporated flips, tricks and complicated maneuvers into their moves. I bought them exactly Same colorful dance floor. Its also easy to find a bar where DJs spin popular songs and casually-dressed people congregate. People dance, drink and party on the deck at CoCo's in Huntington on July 14, 2000. There was something to do every night of the week on Long Island whether It was Monday night at Cocos (in Huntington) or Thursday nights at Eclipse (in Commack) you knew you would see your club friends at each club it was almost like going to a friends house., She recalls the days when we didnt find out about the clubs on social media. ), at ScrubzBody Skin Care Products Meryl Meisler: SASSY 70s NYCis at Midoma Gallery, New York until January 6, 2017. Firebird, Trans Am, GTO, Road Runner, Super Bee, Barracuda, Le Mans, Riviera As a high school student, My hands-down favorite candy bar as a little kid. A group of older men and women relax on the sidelines of a disco club in New York City in 1978. When we played that video, everyone was mesmerized. "Were these your friends plates?" All rights reserved. shop. Tempest, Impala, 1955 Chevy, 1956 Chevy, 1957 Chevy, AMX, Rebel, Tempest, These stock plates were ordered "I loved to hear the stories from customers [about] how their older sister or brother told them about the club, and how they couldnt wait to come of age to get in,"Maggio says. John Carl D'Annibale Show More Show Less 71 of 111 I like a club scene, agrees Lombardo, adding that while bigger clubs are "cool," theysometimes "get too crazy., Tony Greco, a force behind several well-remembered LI nightclubs includingUncle Sams in Levittown and The Malibu in Lido Beach in the '90s before his efforts at Melville's Four Food Studio & Cocktail Salon (which became The Refuge restaurant in2014) remembers that Everyone had attitude. There is a war on between the pub discos and the chic discos, said Michael Gagliardi, the bartender at the Yellow Brick Road in West Hempstead. People go to Chaz and stand there like statues, Robin Nessim, a young woman in a brightred jump suit, said after she had danced unselfconsciously with a girlfriend at Barrymores, a Westernstyle bar and. The people are the show, said Ian Schrager, a disco entrepreneur who has invested in clubs in Manhattan and Queens and expects open a place soon called After Dark in Oakdale. a link to my list of hundreds of WWII AAF, USN, USMC Squadron Patches, The club held dance contests and lingerie shows, sponsored ladies' nights and teen nights and had a plush lounge and enormous video screens before MTV exploded . Dempsey notesthat there arent many "high-end places that are geared toward the under-40 crowd.. (In a 2011 email, then-Town Supervisor Anna Throne-Holst explained that the town board of that time, while not seeking to push nightlife out, was working toward resolving related issues such as crowd control, noise levels and parking issues. The mighty Neptune Beach Club ceased operation in 2013. Years ago, the rusticlooking bars and pubs that were frequented by young singles sprouted dance floors, bandstands and control rooms for light and sound. Rejected from Studio 54 No No, Studio 54, NY. Every Friday night they have an 80's night at this club. By 78 I was the manager of Apple & Eves, a disco in Huntington. Did end up at 2001 Odyssey in the early 80s though when it was an all male review. Left: A couple wearing matching high socks dance at the disco club Xenon in New York City, 1978. A crowd gathers at Spa Lounge at Zachary's in East Meadow on Jan.8, 2010. It was so much fun going to discos like Uncle Sams, Metro 700, 231, etc. of 1942 - 1945 US and Canada License Plates Types, Restamped 2. my permission. Dancers gather on the floor at LI Exchange in Melville on Feb. 3, 1989. He points out that while mega-clubs are gone from Long Island,there are pockets around the country where clubs still exist, and for those wanting that experience, they find themselves in the more tolerant environments of metropolises like New York City where mass transit eliminates the DWI issue or they celebrate occasions on a junket to Las Vegas. Twenty-seven-year-old Kristin Cole is a bit too young to remember, much less visit, Neptunes, but when told of the crowds and the lines she immediately says Standing in line? But the breakthrough year for disco came when Hollywood decided to get in on the action in 1977. Inside the club, however, several of the patrons as well as three members of the fivepiece band were in blue jeans. Meisler has made a career capturing life in Bushwick, New York City,and this series takes the citys famed disco nightlife as its muse. We got actual flierson our cars (often left on windshields) and heard it on the radio. disco dance party put on those dancing shoes and come dance to the greatest disco hits of the 70s & 80s with dj plax of 103.1 fm also hosted by mickey b also appearing nicole vanessa ortiz making her longisland appearance and performing that night at 2183 jackson ave in seaford from 8-1 ticket are 38.00 with a full hot buffet or 15.00 no food partial proceeds will be going to the think first . Much like Rosenberg, 48-year-old Plainview mom Corey Cohen-Oren saysdressing up was a top priority on her club-going nights. The disco era was an poque unto itself, Meisler explains. They came to be entertained. know anything other than "They're from old car clubs. Here you can dance, watch the band, have a drink or have a conversation.. Must deeply say that DJ Jeff is the best & better one . lots of other WWII, Jeep, and other stuff. Copyright Left: A disco DJ smokes a cigarette while spinning a record at a club in New York City, 1979. in Port Chicago, CA, Speed Gems in Minneapolis, MN, Gem Manufacturing Company Inspired by mid-century Hungarian-French photographer Brassa's street photography of Paris in the early decades of the 20th century, Abramson (1948-2011) began photographing nightclubs on Chicago's South Side - clubs like: Peppers . At 15,000 square feet, the disco was said to be the largest in the Rochester area. Big crowds? Its no secret that December can be a difficult month ironically, at times, a little lacking in exuberance. Gone were the lush string sections, the incendiary horns, and the mirrored light balls, replaced by a new wave edge and perhaps even a cynicism that resulted from the overexposure of disco in the 70s. From Business: 76 gas stations Top Tier gasoline and other amenities for drivers to fuel up for their adventures. There is nothing more exhilarating than to open a club and being able to deejay there, said Pazdyk, who lives in Spencerport and had done a slew of announcing over the years, including stints at Watkins Glen International Speedway and as the longtime voice of the Section V Boys Basketball Tournament. generic plaques were sold by several companies to the readers of Rod The decade was the gateway to the present in many ways. document.write(m.substring(p, 0)); Such fond memories of him at my house every weekend in his ever present skull cap and stinky, I was a part time junior ski instructor at Bald Hill during two winter seasons. It was a lot smaller than I expected though. Steve Rubell and Halston on Easter Monday, Hurrah, NY. Ron came SHE is wearing a sleek backless dress and makeup that makes her eyes glitter. "No, he died about 7 years ago. All rights reserved. // End -->, Other plaque sites of merit: I need a place that I can feel comfortable in, she said as she danced in place by herself. J. Sprats in Island Parkon June 7, 1994. The clubs popularity declined around 1985 but bounced back, Pazdyk said, and then was sold to new owners in 1987 before closing for good in 1989. Pazdyks deejay name was Mike Paz. Behold, then, the perfect uplifting surprise for a Monday morning from Meryl Meislers latest exhibition and book, SASSY 70s NYC, which is currently showing at Midoma Gallery in New York. This is still who I am. any more "Jeep" ones. The use of car club plaques seems to have started in Wasnt a disco fan myself. Sphinx Hookah Lounge. box that contained all the plaques I had put away so many years ago. Long Island, New York, NY 9 x 5 1/4 . Chaz, a disco in Huntington, is next to a supermarket. They brought their hard-earned . he is not worried about running out of young people. The Chicago White Sox famously hosted a Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park in 1979 during which people destroyed disco records. The point was to get dressed up and dance, to see and be seen and they definitely didn't serve food. All Rights Reserved. 6.2K likes. Im not personally a fan [of bars] at night, especially on weekends., Like Toscano and Lombardo, Dempsey also prefers the scene at Kyma and Hendricks, as well as Rare650 in Syosset and Monsoon in Babylon, upscale restaurants that regularly have DJ nights and tend to attract clientele in their 40s and older. But now there are shopping centers all over Long Island and in some respects they are better stocked than the ones in Manhattan.. Commack's rink closed in 1995. Here are links to my catalog of Jeep Bought some turntables at the Fordham road (Bronx) location when I was 14. hanging dice & poodle skirts, greasers, gassers, track, wide track, At Chaz and the Decameron, where the sound systems are hearty and sophisticated, there are special musicfree lounges and game rooms where people can talk. In the 1970s the restaurant industry and the custom of eating in restaurants grew rapidly. I just picked up one of these in the box. I was about done walking the show and still had most of the money Way too much satin everywhere. She and her friend (and fellow stylist) Arianna Lombardo, 24,of Bethpage, represent a slice of the millennial and postmillennial nightlife crowd. Star Wars Party Overhead View, Fire Island Pines, NY. Divine, Grace Jones, and friends celebrate Jones' birthday at Xenon, 1978. A night out meant going bumpertobumper. Metal In the spring of 1998 I took a new job as a traveling salesman. I didn't even know they were called "plaques".